Tuesday 4 October 2011

Exploring VFX

Hi there,
my names Tav Flett and over the coming few months I will be exploring different techniques involved with live action VFX. This exploration will be a part of my 3rd year self directed study for the undergraduate course Media Practice with Animation at The University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol.

My intention is to not only look into the technical side of VFX production, but to lead a critique of this rapidly growing industry in the UK and it's current situation within higher education.

During the past 6 months I was lucky enough to work in the industry on Tim Burtons upcoming stop frame animation Frankenweenie. The film is a remake of his 1984 short film of the same name. The feature currently in production is along the lines as Corpse Bride and the Nightmare Before Christmas. 

On Frankenweenie I was predominately using the compositing program Nuke and it is this program along with Maya and Matchmover that I will be exploring this semester. I chose these programs specifically as they are currently the industry standard applications in feature film for 3d work, compositing and match moving.

So that said, let the journey begin. Hopefully I can learn a few things before the year is out and if you're reading this, then hopefully you can too!



No comments:

Post a Comment